It is a sad fact that many people in the UK increasingly find themselves relying on emergency food banks. Aberdeen, despite its wealth and status as the Oil Capital of Europe, is no exception.
Instant Neighbour has provided emergency food parcels to individuals in serious need for over twenty years. Whenever someone requests a food parcel, we carry out a brief, informal assessment of their needs – what has brought them to us; why do they need a parcel? – and provide a food parcel containing 2-3 days of emergency provisions.
We provide emergency food parcels only to individuals in particularly difficult circumstances, and do what we can to refer clients on to other agencies which may be able to help them through their difficulties.
From speaking to our clients, there appear to be many reasons why someone comes to us a for a parcel. These reasons may include:
- late benefit payments;
- waiting for the first payment under new benefit claims;
- stopped benefit payments due to sanctions imposed;
- waiting for the first wage from new employment; and
- increased heating costs during the winter months.
Regrettably, many of the problems encountered by individuals coming to us are becoming more, rather than less prevalent. As such, we expect demand for food parcels to continue to increase.
Change to hours for the festive season 2023
Closes at 12pm on Friday 22nd December 2023
Open Thursday 28th December 2023 – 10am-2pm Only
Reopens on Thursday 4th January 2024 – 10am-1pm and 2-4pm, thereafter normal hours.
How to get here
Foodbank entrance on Great Northern Road side of the building
If using satnav the postcode is AB24 3YJ and there is free parking on Sandilands Drive.
To NORTHBOUND Burnett Place/A96 bus stops
17 Northern Lights line from Kincorth
18 Northern Lights line from Redmoss
727 from Aberdeen Bus Station
220 from Aberdeen Bus Station
To SOUTHBOUND Burnett Place/A96 bus stops
17 Northern Lights line from Newhills
18 Northern Lights line from Dyce
727 from Dyce/Airport
220 from Monymusk
To NORTHBOUND Burnett Place/Clifton Road bus stops
23 from Sheddocksley
To SOUTHBOUND Burnett Place/Clifton Road bus stops
23 from Heathryfold
- In 2012, we provided 1,346 food parcels to 485 different clients.
- In 2013, this rose to 3,051 parcels going to 970 different clients.
- In 2014, this rose to 3,640 parcels going to 1,383 clients.
- In 2015 we provided 3,877 food parcels to 1,237 different clients.
- In 2016 we issued just over 5195 food parcels to 1270 different clients.
- In 2017 this rose again to 6905 parcels for 2443 different clients.
- In 2018 we gave out 6200 parcels to 2100 different clients.
- In 2019 we provided 5400 parcels to 1400 clients.
Due to the increase in numbers and the need to do whatever we can to help people out of poverty, we regularly have advisers available at our food bank to speak to clients and provide them with practical assistance to overcome their difficulties. This allows us to do what we can to deal with the causes that bring clients to us in need of food assistance.
If you can help us to continue to deliver this vital service, Instant Neighbour and our clients would be grateful.
How to donate to the food bank
Our foodbank is situated within our St Machar Drive premises and is open Monday to Friday from 10.00 – 13.00 and 14.00 – 16.00.
Non-perishable items that you can donate:
- UHT or long life milk
- Tinned soup
- Tinned meat & fish
- Tinned vegetables
- Rice & pasta
- Jar sauces
- Tinned fruit
- Biscuits & snack bars
- Teabags & instant coffee
- Diluting juice
- Dog & Cat food
- Basic Toiletries